The purpose of the NAACCR International Fellowship Program is to provide an opportunity for the international cancer surveillance community to attend the NAACCR Annual Conference, benefit from the educational opportunities at the Conference, and contribute to the Conference by bringing international perspective and experience to share with NAACCR members. Awardees will attend the Caribbean Cancer Surveillance Meeting (Global Cancer Registration/Cancer Surveillance) as well as participate in NAACCR sessions and provide input to the international cancer surveillance community.
Scope of Program
The NAACCR International Fellowship Program will provide hotel accommodation, and registration fees for attendance at the NAACCR Annual Conference. The fellowship is open to individuals from low or middle income countries, involved with the development and or management of a population-based cancer registry.
This award is competitive, a maximum of five (5) awards will be made, and no more than two individuals from a country/agency will be permitted. Applications will be evaluated by a review committee and economic need and contribution to the conference activities will be assessed as part of the review criteria. Priority for the 2017 Annual Conference will be given to individuals from the Caribbean Region.
Who: Individuals who are working to establish or enhance an established population-based registry in a low or middle income country. U.S territories may be considered for this fellowship.
Where: The NAACCR International Fellowship may only be used for participation in the NAACCR Annual Conference, including the special Caribbean Cancer Surveillance Meeting (Global Cancer Registration/Cancer Surveillance).
When: The NAACCR International Fellowship may only be used in the current year that it is approved. It will not be automatically rolled over to subsequent years.
What: Eligible fellowship costs include only conference registration and applicable hotel room overnight stay expenses. This is a matching fellowship where the applicant must be able to provide documentation that they will be able to pay for remaining expenses such as air fare, food, tips, and other living expenses while at the conference.
This program is supported by Federal funds from the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, under contract number HHSN261201400004I; Global CR-CS Task Order. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NCI, NIH, or DHHS.
- Candidate must submit a complete application.
- No more than two individuals from any registry/country will be considered.
- Awards will be made upon evaluation of applications by a review committee on a competitive basis.
- Awardee must acknowledge and accept the NAACCR International Fellowship by email within 7 days of notification or the offering may be rescinded.
- Awardee must submit a final travel plan, including, dates, and documentation / support of matching expenses by their employer or themselves at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the Conference.
- Payment will be made via vouchers and coupon codes. Awardee must register for the Annual Conference using the coupon code provided. Participants will not receive direct payment of any expenses.
- Awardee must submit a poster for the Caribbean Cancer Surveillance Meeting describing cancer surveillance activities in their country. Detailed poster requirements will be provided upon award.
- Awardee must submit a trip report within 30 days following the conference describing the benefits they gained by attendance.
The application must include:
- A completed application form;
- A narrative description of the candidate’s registry including current status of its development and their role;
- A personal statement of the anticipated benefit to the candidate;
- A description of economic need;
- A letter of support from cancer registry director or supporting agency using their letterhead; and
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae or resume.
___ Application Form
___ Curriculum vitae or resume of applicant
___ Letter of support from Cancer Registry or Agency employing applicant
The written proposal must be submitted the online form provided at the end of this page. All materials necessary for submissions will be provided via this form. All applications must be written in English.
The deadline for applications is April 21, 2017 by 5pm EDT. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Applications that are incomplete or are considered out of scope of the Fellowship Program will be excluded from the review process. Candidates, who have submitted an incomplete or out of scope application, will be notified by email. The review process will use the review criteria to determine the quality of the application.
Fellowship applicants will be contacted by May 15, 2017.
The number of fellowships made will be dependent upon the number of available fellowships allowed by the contract task order funding this program. Fellowships will be made by evaluating the criteria of
- Contribution to the NAACCR Annual Conference
- Contribution to the Caribbean Cancer Surveillance Meeting at the NAACCR Annual Conference
- Economic and technical need.